Monday, June 30, 2008

Read at your own risk


This is the Jedi Cowboy Stormtrooper custom outfit by Jeremy.

So, last week Rob was at Scout Camp. No big deal, I thought -- I'll just work from home. Ha!!! Then I realized that the biggest loan I've ever done is supposed to close while he's gone. We had one fluff day (today) and if it didn't close (hasn't so far) the project costs go up by $1 million. Yup that's a $1 w/ six zeros.

Cousin Dean (Jeremy does NOT think he's "Little") helped out watching Peter & Jeremy last week -- yaaa!!!! They had the best time. Peter showed Dean how to play Lego Star Wars & Lego Indiana Jones. They saw Kung Fu Panda & Indiana Jones again, and they played at Bev's a couple of days. One day w/ Lylli & Layla. They were so tired every single day! That part went well.

I thought my loan was going OK -- the normal ups & downs. One doc got overlooked that had to be signed by a third party -- ACK!!! But miracle of miracles we got it signed! Things were looking really good Thursday afternoon for a Friday close. Between the time when I picked up P&J from Bev's and got home, everything went to HECK because some doofus brain at the title company is an idiot! Things got worse Thursday evening. I won my own "OK Parent Award" (named after the "OK Driving Awards" Paul gives out.) Peter was frustrated w/ the LEGOs. I had to tell him that when he's playing with LEGOs, it is NOT OK to use the words Mommy uses when she's working........

We thought we were there Friday am, but it got worse. Sigh! I have never worked so hard on something to have it fail so miserably! By the end of Friday, we'd done everything we could, everyone at my company, our partners, our law firm, everyone was working on only this loan. End of Friday I gave it a 15% chance of making. Friday night I ordered take-out for dinner, hey -- on Sunday I made dinner, frozen pizza! Saturday am, I woke up crabby & stiff, the results of too much stress. I started my one Advil every hour routine and by the time we picked up Rob @ 2 pm I was feeling better.

They had showers @ Scout Camp so Rob smelled better than I expected. No loss of limbs or major injuries, so it was a success. P&J were really happy to see Dad. We managed to keep the house mostly clean, but we didn't get any golf in & the yard looked like the Munsters had moved in...

Nothing happened on my loan Saturday......or so I thought. The emails started flowing on Sunday. Someone at the title company realized that they look like a bunch of idiots and found someone more senior who can hopefully fix this mess, but only after getting a bunch of letters from us, our partner, the contractor & our attorney. Oh and they needed all the financial docs resent....grrr!!! But the loan is $1 million under market, so we got all that together yesterday. And now, we wait..... It's 8:30 and I've been at my computer for 2 1/2 hours already. By the way, if the title company doesn't get it figured out, we've got to try to get and extension from the bank (won't be at the same $1 million under current market) and substitute in a different title company. Or we could just can this loan we've been working on for 15 months and start over!

Sigh....Rob took the boys to get milk. We're all out. I meant to go to the store, Friday night or Saturday am, but it didn't happen. I found a web-site for coupons for organic milk, but I forgot to show Rob....sigh! I can not believe how expensive organic milk is -- or that Rob talked me into the organic milk craze! We took the Surbaban into the shop before Scout Camp, so they'd have a whole week to fix the HVAC and a whole list of other stuff. Friday afternoon I took off for a few minutes to go get it, but the darn thing wouldn't start. They are putting yet another fuel pump in it. Hopefully it'll be done today, since we are supposed to drive down to SLC for the mother-in-law relay. Beryl will be with us until mid-August. No, I don't have a good plan B for what to do if I need to be working on this stupid loan tomorrow!

So, if you are wondering what I do for work, I send emails and talk on the phone mostly. Sometimes I do some accounting, write a few checks, etc. Sometimes I analyze deals -- can't have too many new deals! That's where the money is.

It's almost 11 am Florida time and we haven't heard from the title company -- I don't think that's good. Drat! I have noticed that we get a lot of birds in the back yard early in the morning. I think Friday & today are the only summer days when I've seen the sunrise since we moved here.

This photo is Peter on track day. He's having a great time! He obviously has my hair and look at that tan! You can't tell it in this photo, but he's way behind the rest of the kids in the race. This is how I've felt for the last week -- running as fast as I can and not making much progress. I keep checking the emails every other sentence, nothing yet. I guess it's time to get dressed. I'm sure that as soon as I walk away from the computer, the whole loan is going to blow up!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad your loan closed. That was a close one! I'm excited to see you and the family tomorrow. It sounds like Skip owes you a fancy dinner. Maybe he wouldn't notice a couple of tag ons! LOL

What would they do without you?

Wait, scratch the dinner. He should treat you to a massage and you'd only have to tag me on!

Anonymous said...

I sure would not mention anything work related on the web. If someone gets wind of it it could cause grief. There is no point in even calling your professionalism into question for the purpose of venting on the web. Nothing good will ever come from that. Better to invite me to dinner and vent in person. That way, neither the boss, the customer, nor the evil title companies will ever get wind of your inner thoughts.
Cliff