It occurred to me some time ago that I see the world differently from most people. I was told that it was because I was born in Australia and I'm therefore upside down. Well, it turns out that there is actually a more rational explanation than that: Asperger's Syndrome.Some of you know that Peter's 2nd Grade experience was not good. After fighting w/ the school for most of last year, several NCSD employees suggested that Peter might have high-functioning autism. I knew that we had to get that checked out, or else the school district could use it as an excuse. Well, much to my surprise, once I started looking into it in great detail, I recognized Peter AND I recognized myself. (Aspergers and High-Functioning Autism are very similar.) The Dr confirmed the diagnosis today. The good thing is that now we can be more aware of what we need to do to help him learn the social, communication, creative writing, interpretation of literature, etc skills he needs. The crappy thing is that now I know that the things I struggle with will always be with me and Peter as well. Sigh! However, I do like a quote made by a successful Asperger lady: "If there weren't people like me in the world, everyone would still be sitting around the campfire socializing." Oh -- one more thing, it does run in families. So, if you are thinking to yourself, "this is just crazy -- Peter is absolutely normal. He does all the stuff I did." -- You probably have it too!


1 comment:
Wow, that's a tough diagnosis, but it is good you have it and can move forward. I know there is a bunch of research and helpful resources out there. There is a summer camp (or there use to be) in Santa Barbara that focuses on autism therapy. It starts with one week of just the parents and the kid and then the next two weeks is a regular camp that siblings can go to. Check it out. I think it is at the University there. I know it is expensive, but it might be very helpful to you. If they aren't doing it anymore, there might be another similar opportunity out there.
Post a Comment