Thursday, August 14, 2008

Boston!!!

We made it to Plymouth & saw this replica of the Mayflower. The exhibit was closed, but it was cool to see it. It looks very small compared to the cruise ships we saw in Florida! I would probably have stayed in England.....

Jeremy thinks it was a pirate ship, so I think maybe we'll bring out the eye patches for Thanksgiving dinner this year. Plymouth is approx 30 miles south of Boston. It took us 2 1/2 hours to drive that!!!! Holy smokes! There are a TON of people all over Massachusetts! It's very cute and pretty, but there are people everywhere!

This is Rob enjoying some driving tips from me. When I was in my classes, Beryl was nice enough to give him driving tips in my absence. After all, having Neverlost in the rental car is not enough. All that gal does is recaculate the route and say which way to turn, she totally ignores lanes, speed, smoothness, etc! So last week we had a rental car that barely fit 5. This week I'm in So Cal by myself and they gave me a 7 passenger Highlander. Oh well, that's better than the H3 -- what a joke! The H3 is a total disaster. It's got all the disadvantages of a Suburban w/ the comfort of a Civic!

Rob and Jeremy are imitating the statue in this photo. This is outside the Old North Church where Paul Revere & friends hung the warning lanterns. By the way, Paul Revere looks amazingly like Jack Black -- just in case any casting directors are reading........

The Old North Church still operates as a church, complete with the old funky pews! Each of the pews has a little brass plaque showing the sponser -- lots of historic names there. It also has the first organ in the new world.

We walked along the freedom trail. It's amazing how much of the old Boston survives. The other freaky thing is that there is about twice a much land in Boston now as there was when the colonists started building there. They leveled the hills and used them to fill in the harbor. They also used trash & whatever. The entire airport is on landfill. And a whole bunch of really, really tall buildings. I tried not to think about that as I was sitting in the basement of one of those buildings for 2 days........

This is the mystery retro photo.................shouldn't be too hard, since there weren't that many little boys born close together. I have a prize for the first one to post the right answer!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ITS PETER AND BEN!!!

YAYAYYAYAYA


This is Stephanie Whitlock by the way... just so you know where to deliver the price. haha

Love your pictures from Mass. by the way. Plymouth was one of my favorites.

Rachel Harlin said...

I recognize Peter, but if Steph hadn't said Ben, I never would have guessed that. I have always wanted to visit Boston and Plymouth. I love the history there. Well, maybe someday!