Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's October, Do you know where your gloves, hats & boots are?

It's totally useless to watch the weather reports here. Apparently we live near the edge of the radar area. That combined w/ a small population and weathermen that are younger that some of my favorite socks makes for unreliable weather reports. So when they said we were going to get 8 inches of snow this weekend, I naturally ignored it. That usually means we'll get a few pithy flakes like the bits that fall out of TP packaging. Well, NOT this time! Peter & Jeremy made the snow angels in the back yard on Saturday. They also tromped all over the place and generally made a giant freezing mess!

Well, by Sunday am we'd gotten so much more snow that we couldn't see any evidence of Saturday's tromping. And this was wet snow -- not the powdery stuff we usually get. Despite my better judgement and not having thermals, I decided to shovel while Rob was at meetings this am. Happily I've lost just enough weight to fit into two pairs of pants. I decided that shoveling would count as working out. Well, Jeremy decided to help me. He brought his own shovel -- one that we use at the beach..... Anyway, by the time he and Peter managed to get their gear on, I was done shoveling and Rob came home, so we decided to build a snowman. We'll probably only get 1 or 2 more good snowman building snows this year, so we have to take advantage of the good stuff.

I was scrounging in the garage for snowman parts, when Rob remembered that we had a snowman kit from Christmas last year -- Thanks Emil!!! The snowman looks a lot better w/ those parts than the things I scrounged up from the garage! Peter decided that he needed arms, so he built some T-rex style snow arms. It was above freezing most of the day today, so we had to keep sticking parts back in & he probably won't survive tomorrow. It was fun anyway. I'm attempting to post a snowman making video -- it's kind of long & one of the neighbors down the block started up the snow blower, but I haven't gotten video editing software mastered yet, so it is what it is...for now...

The pipe is for blowing BUBBLES! Is there any other reason for a pipe???

So the other day I had the TV on mute and Peter saw John McCain on it. We really don't talk much about politics, so I was surprised that Peter knew who he was. Peter said, "Hey, that's John McCain. He's a good man." I asked him what he thought about the other guy & he frowned and said, "We can talk about that later," and went back to practicing the piano! Later hasn't come yet -- personally, I've been sick and tired of the election for months!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a snowman! We had a wet snow, too, but not nearly that much. And my dog tramped through my entire back yard, so I wouldn't have been able to build a snowman even if I wanted to. But Carson loved getting his new winter gear on and playing in the snow with Roscoe.